Dempo beat ONGC 2-0 in I-League
Margao: Dempo Sports Club put up a disciplined performance to score a convincing 2-0 win over ONGC in the seventh round of I-League here on Tuesday.
Dempo, who posted their third win, made early forays and took the lead in the 8th minute of the match, played at Nehru Stadium, through striker Joaquim Abranches.
The return of Abranches gave a boost to Dempo`s attack. He, along with Man of the Match Roberto Silva, spearheaded the attack for the local outfit.
Silva, who moved dangerously with the ball, was brought down on top of the box by defender Gour Naskar. Silva, who took the free kick, scored the second goal amidst controversial circumstance.
The Dempo striker floated the ball which hit the cross bar and crossed the goal line. The rival keeper, Rajat Dastidar, collected the ball and tried to convince the referee C R Srikrishna that the ball did not cross the goal line. He rushed towards the assistant referee and in the process earned yellow card for arguing.
The young Mumbai side did not lag behind as they gave good account of themselves and created a couple of moves but failed to convert them into goals.
Dempo continued to dictate terms after the change of ends and had two early chances to swell the score but Abranches and Peter Carvalho failed in their efforts.
With this win, Dempo now have 12 points from seven matches, while ONGC remained on four points from as many ties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM