Dubai on track for 2020 Olympic bid
Dubai: Dubai took another significant step in realising its ambition to bid for the 2020 Olympics by snapping up rights to host 2012 World Swimming Championships, WAM news agency reported quoting a newspaper.
The Dubai-based Gulf News said in its editorial that even as the world continues to gape and theorise in wonder about how this emirate seemingly pulls off the most ambitious plans in its favour, Dubai has served notice to the sporting world that with this successful bid it should not be taken lightly.
"Failure is not an option, but should it come, it only aims to strengthen the resolve. In Dubai`s case the attempts to bid for the event in 2005 and 2007 acted as the blueprint for their masterstroke in 2009, convincing the world body of swimming that there was no other worthy contender," the paper said.
"The hosts will leave no stone unturned and the final endorsement of Dubai`s Olympic aspirations will come from the participants themselves," the editorial added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre