East Asia federation backs Bin Hammam in FIFA election
Seoul: Asian soccer chief Mohamed Bin Hammam will have the support of the East Asian Football Federation in his bid to become the next FIFA President, the EAFF said on Tuesday.
"The EAFF Executive Committee...has unanimously welcomed the decision of Mr. Mohamed bin Hammam, president of AFC, to stand for the presidency of FIFA," the federation, comprising 10 member associations, said in a statement.
EAFF President Chung Yun Cho has also expressed full support for Bin Hammam`s bid to end Swiss Sepp Blatter`s 13-year-reign at the helm of world soccer`s governing body, the federation said.
The South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) virtually assured its support to Bin Hammam during the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) chief`s visit to India last week.
The 61-year-old Qatari also has the backing of his former foe and honorary chairman of the Korean Football Association Chung Mong-joon.
Bin Hammam is touring the world canvassing support for the June 1 election to become FIFA`s first Asian president.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!