East Asia federation backs Bin Hammam in FIFA election
Seoul: Asian soccer chief Mohamed Bin Hammam will have the support of the East Asian Football Federation in his bid to become the next FIFA President, the EAFF said on Tuesday.
"The EAFF Executive Committee...has unanimously welcomed the decision of Mr. Mohamed bin Hammam, president of AFC, to stand for the presidency of FIFA," the federation, comprising 10 member associations, said in a statement.
EAFF President Chung Yun Cho has also expressed full support for Bin Hammam`s bid to end Swiss Sepp Blatter`s 13-year-reign at the helm of world soccer`s governing body, the federation said.
The South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) virtually assured its support to Bin Hammam during the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) chief`s visit to India last week.
The 61-year-old Qatari also has the backing of his former foe and honorary chairman of the Korean Football Association Chung Mong-joon.
Bin Hammam is touring the world canvassing support for the June 1 election to become FIFA`s first Asian president.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened