EC to announce Gujarat, Himachal poll dates today
New Delhi: The Election Commission will announce the dates for Assembly Elections to be held in Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh later this year at 4 pm on Wednesday, sources said.
The Election Commission will hold a press conference at 4 pm where the dates will be announced.
The model code of conduct in both the states will come into effect from this evening itself.
The Commission finalised the schedule for the Assembly polls in the two states in its full meeting chaired by Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath and attended by Election Commissioners H S Brahma and Nasim Zaidi and other officials here this morning, EC sources said.
The elections are likely to be held in November-December after giving due consideration to the festivals of Navratras and Diwali, they said.
The Gujarat elections are likely to be held in two phases, while those in Himachal Pradesh are expected to be conducted in a single phase.
The Commission has already held consultations with the Home Ministry for deployment of central security forces during the elections and with revenue officials for checking the misuse of money power.
More than 35,000 personnel from central paramilitary forces and around 55,000 from state police are likely to be deployed for the Gujarat polls.
Around 9,000 personnel from paramilitary forces and 14,000 from state police are likely to be deployed for Himachal Pradesh elections.
Fearing use of money power in Gujarat, the Commission is engaged in identifying the number of "expenditure sensitive" constituencies in Gujarat.
Elections in the two states have to be held by January next as the terms of the current Assemblies of Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh end on January 17 and 10 respectively.
While Gujarat has 182 Assembly constituencies, 13 of which are reserved for SCs and 26 for STs, Himachal Pradesh has 68 Assembly seats, with 17 reserved for SCs and 3 for STs.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug