Fennell in India, mum on CWG scams
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of a spate
of controversies surrounding the Delhi Games, Commonwealth
Games Federation president Michael Fennell arrived on a two-day visit.
However, he refused to comment on the corruption claims in CWG.
Fennell will inspect various stadiums, which have been
hit by construction delays, and meet government officials to
get an update on security for the October 3-14 mega event.
Fennell`s visit also gains importance because a few of
the Commonwealth nations have raised doubts about security
during the event and they would be eagerly waiting for a
report from the CWF chief to take a final decision.
Regarding the venues, the Organizing committee
vice-chairman Randhir Singh has already that assured all the
stadiums are in "top-class shape" and will be ready within a
"We checked each and everything minutely. Although minor
works still remains but everything will be completed in a
week`s time. By August 25 all the things will be done," Singh,
who is also secretary-general of Indian Olympic Association,
During his visit to the capital in March earlier this
year, Fennell had said that he was satisfied with preparations
but with just 45 days to go for the Games, it remains to be
seen how he reacts this time around.
Fennell was also very concerned after a spate of
corruption charges were levelled on the organising committee,
especially its chairman Suresh Kalmadi and the CWF chief is
expected to seek a lot of answers from the OC in this regard.
Apart from an update on the progress of the venues,
Fennell will also seek a report on the fitness, fire, health
and safety from government departments.
The organising committee`s deal with AM Films during the
Queen`s Baton Relay in London had opened a can of worms,
putting Kalmadi in the eye of a storm with allegations of
financial irregularities levelled on him and his colleagues.
Skeletons kept tumbling out of the cupboard before Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh stepped in and empowered a Group of
Ministers and Committee of Secretaries, headed by Cabinet
Secretary, to supervise preparations for the October event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- Zee Media Exclusive: Wife says Yakub Memon unwell, appeals to govt for clemency