FIFA probe finds `new evidence` in bin Hammam case
London: A FIFA commissioned investigation into claims that Asian football chief Mohamed bin Hammam used bribes in his bid for the organisation`s top job has found fresh evidence, according to a UK newspaper.
Bin Hammam and then vice-president Jack Warner were suspended on May 29 when a leaked report revealed that four Caribbean Football Union associations had been offered money or had seen the offence occurring during a meeting on May 10-11.
A further five associations have now told former FBI director Louis Freeh, who is heading the investigation, that they were offered $40,000 (27,900 euros) in brown paper envelopes in return for their vote in the presidential election.
FIFA announced on Wednesday it had completed its investigation into bin Hammam and its ethics committee would hear the case against the suspended official on July 22.
The ethics committee will also hear the cases of Debbie Minguell and Jason Sylvester, the two CFU officials who were also suspended along with Warner.
Bin Hammam, who was hoping to unseat Sepp Blatter from the leading role at FIFA, has argued that many of those claiming to have received money were not able to vote.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves