FIFA probe finds `new evidence` in bin Hammam case
London: A FIFA commissioned investigation into claims that Asian football chief Mohamed bin Hammam used bribes in his bid for the organisation`s top job has found fresh evidence, according to a UK newspaper.
Bin Hammam and then vice-president Jack Warner were suspended on May 29 when a leaked report revealed that four Caribbean Football Union associations had been offered money or had seen the offence occurring during a meeting on May 10-11.
A further five associations have now told former FBI director Louis Freeh, who is heading the investigation, that they were offered $40,000 (27,900 euros) in brown paper envelopes in return for their vote in the presidential election.
FIFA announced on Wednesday it had completed its investigation into bin Hammam and its ethics committee would hear the case against the suspended official on July 22.
The ethics committee will also hear the cases of Debbie Minguell and Jason Sylvester, the two CFU officials who were also suspended along with Warner.
Bin Hammam, who was hoping to unseat Sepp Blatter from the leading role at FIFA, has argued that many of those claiming to have received money were not able to vote.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video