FIR filed against Rahul for poll code violation
Kanpur: Congress leader Rahul Gandhi was
on Monday booked for alleged violation of model code of conduct by
UP authorities which said that his road show here had breached
the time limit and the roadmap set by them.
District Magistrate Hari Om said that an FIR has been
filed against Rahul and city Congress chief Mahesh Dikshit who
have been booked under Section 188 of IPC for violating
prohibitory orders (Section 144) imposed in the city and under
Sections 283 (danger or obstruction in public way) and 290
"The district administration had allocated time till noon
and fixed a 20-km route for Rahul Gandhi`s road show but Rahul
Gandhi violated it and stretched it beyond permitted time. He
also did not stick to the prescribed route for the event," the
However, state Congress chief Rita Bahuguna Joshi, who was
part of the road show, denied there was any violation of the
model code of conduct and accused the district administration
of trying to stop Rahul`s mass contact programme at the behest
of the Mayawati government.
"The party has apprised the Election Commission about the
action of the district administration," she said.
Kanpur MP and Union Minister Sri Prakash Jaiswal dared the
authorities to file an FIR against him. "I had invited Rahul
Gandhi for the roadshow. Let the authorities file an FIR
against me," he told reporters.
The DM claimed that the road show organisers had sought
permission for a 38-km stretch but they had been informed last
night about the conditions. "The district administration had
fixed a 20-km route for Rahul Gandhi`s road show as today is
Shivratri and there could be a traffic problem.
"Still they violated the rules and chose to follow the
route for which permission had not been granted," he said,
adding, "There could have been a security breach or a clash".
Joshi, however, countered that the detailed programme of
the Congress general secretary, including the route, was
handed over to the district administration by the district
unit well in advance and was also cleared by the SPG.
"The administration, however, revised the programme last
night and sent it to the SPG," she claimed.
She said that as the people had already been informed
about the entire programme, it was not possible to carry out
last minute changes.
"During the entire mass contact programme neither
Rahul Gandhi addressed a meeting, nor did he take out any
procession. Therefore, he has not violated the model conde of
conduct," the state Congress president claimed.
She alleged that the Mayawati government was "nervous and
shaken" after the "success" of Rahul`s road show in Lucknow.
The road show began at the Circuit House this morning and
crossed through all the five assembly segments here with
people standing on both sides of the roads to greet the
Rahul`s road show was, however, shown black flags by youths
belonging to some Muslim groups in Baghai area of the
Cantonment. They were shouting slogans of `Rahul, go back`.
In Muslim-dominated Chunnigang area, people welcomed him
by showering flowers while the Congress leader garlanded an
Ambedkar statue in Bajaria area.
Kanpur will go to polls in the fifth phase of February 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview