Food that keeps your heart healthy
It is known that eating a Mediterranean diet similar to Italians or Greeks is beneficial for the heart.
Now, the February issue of Mayo Clinic Women`s HealthSource has covered key components of this diet as well as reasons why this approach is known as a heart-healthy eating plan.
Key components include:
1. Eating generous amounts of fruits and vegetables and whole grains. In most Mediterranean countries, fruits and vegetables are part of every meal. They are naturally low in fat and sodium and have no cholesterol. Many are loaded with antioxidants, which may help prevent cholesterol buildup in the arteries.
2. Breads, pastas and rice are typically made from whole grains instead of grains that have been refined and lost some nutritional value. Whole grains provide an excellent source of fiber and contain a variety of vitamins and minerals. Certain types of dietary fiber also can help reduce blood cholesterol levels and may lower the overall risk of heart disease.
3. Getting most fats from healthy sources. Olive oil is the primary fat used in Mediterranean cooking. This type of monounsaturated fat can help reduce low-density lipoprotein (LDL, or "bad") cholesterol levels when used in place of unhealthy saturated fats or trans fats. Other healthy fats in the Mediterranean diet include polyunsaturated fats and omega-3 fatty acids, which can be found in vegetable oils, nuts and fish.
4. Consuming very little red meat and eating generous amounts of legumes. Red meat isn`t a big part of the Mediterranean diet. Legumes, a class of vegetables that includes beans, peas and lentils -- offer a source of protein that`s typically low in fat and contains no cholesterol.
5. Drink wine, in moderation. Some research has shown that a light intake of alcohol is associated with a reduced risk of heart disease. In the Mediterranean, the alcoholic beverage consumed most is wine, which may offer slightly greater heart health benefits than other forms of alcohol. For women (and men over age 65), the recommendation is no more than one glass, or 5 ounces, of wine daily. For men under age 65, it`s no more than two glasses, or 10 ounces, daily.
6. Other aspects of the Mediterranean diet include dining on fish or shellfish as least twice a week; lesser amounts of dairy products, such as cheese and yogurt; incorporating small portions of nuts and seeds daily; eating sweets only on occasion; using herbs and spices instead of salt to flavour food; getting plenty of physical activity; and eating meals with family and friends.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!