Forlan double keeps the party going for Atletico
Madrid: Diego Forlan scored twice as Atletico Madrid beat Sporting Gijon 4-0 in their opening game of the La Liga season on Monday, adding fuel to the festive atmosphere among fans at the club.
The Europa League holders overcame Inter Milan 2-0 to lift the European Super Cup for the first time on Friday, and the trophy was paraded around a packed Calderon before the kickoff.
Midfielder Jurado opened the scoring after 10 minutes in what appears to have been his last game for the club before joining Schalke 04.
"Football is like this. Irresistible offers arrive for players and clubs. It`s a wise decision on his part and a good one for the club," Atletico coach Quique Sanchez Flores told reporters.
Uruguay striker Forlan, who was named player of the World Cup in South Africa, netted a goal in each half, the first after a mazy run from Sergio Aguero.
Portuguese midfielder Simao wrapped up the win with a superb curling shot in the last minute.
Atletico will be celebrating their European Super Cup victory with an open-topped bus tour through the Spanish capital on Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?