Gagan, Anisa bag gold, Indians continue good run at CW C’ship
New Delhi: Gagan Narang struck gold for the second time as Indian shooters rounded off another fantastic day, breaking one meet record and notching up four gold, two silver and a bronze medal to remain at the top of the table in the Commonwealth Shooting Championships here on Saturday.
India’s overall medal count stood at 11 and the hosts remained miles ahead of second-placed England, who have won five medals so far.
Gagan, who won the 10m air rifle pairs’ gold on Friday, continued his fine form and finished on top in the individual event as well. He shot a score of 699.5, just 0.2 shy of the Commonwealth Championship record set by him in 2005.
Sanjeev Rajput, who shot 694.8, settled for the silver medal, while England’s James Huckle took the bronze with a score of 694. Another Indian PT Raghunath finished fourth with a score of 693.2.
Amanpreet Singh notched up another gold medal for India as he broke Jaspal Rana’s five-year old meet record in the 50m pistol individual event. He shot a score of 657.4, bettering the 655.1 mark set by Rana.
England’s Michael Gault settled for silver with 645.2 points while local hope Viraj Singh took the bronze medal with 631 points.
The gold rush continued in the double trap event where Mohd Ashab and Vikram Bhatnagar finished on top in the pairs’ event. The duo shot a combined score of 187.
Australia’s Russel Mark and Nicholas Kirley claimed the silver with a score of 183, while England’s Steven Scott and James Sole were a distant third with 177.
The women shooters too joined the party and Anisa Sayyed, who won the 25m pistol pairs gold yesterday, clinched the individual gold too with a score of 776.5.
Annuraj Singh, who partnered Anisa on Friday, bagged the silver with 774.6 points, while Australia’s Linda Ryan took the bronze with a score of 772.8.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?