`Gambhir` threat for Viru leaves DDCA reeling
New Delhi: In a major shock to the Delhi Ranji cricket team, star batsman Gautam Gambhir threatened to leave the team, in support to Virender Sehwag’s stand on the issue of selection in the DDCA.
Gambhir told reporters, “If things don’t change, I won’t hesitate to move out.” The warning came after skipper Viru had threatened to leave the Delhi Ranji team and play for Haryana if the selection policy of the DDCA was not made transparent. He also alleged corruption against some of the high officials of the state body.
His fellow Team India, Delhi Daredevils and Ranji opener Gambhir too echoed the same point and said, “There is a need to bring about transparency into the selection process.”
This came after DDCA secretary Sunil Dev reacted to Sehwag’s allegations on Monday, asking the cricketer to concentrate on his job. “We have given Sehwag all he wanted and it is not his business to comment on the happenings of association. If he wants to get involved in DDCA matters then he must quit the game first.”
“As a captain of the Delhi Ranji Team we have always considered his views and often respected it. As a player he should not speak to media."
Dev said it was unfair for Sehwag to use words like "corruption" against the DDCA and said the allegations were totally baseless.
"What have we not done for Sehwag? We have always looked after his needs when he was the Delhi captain. Let him come back, we will know what he has in mind", Dev said.
The latest development in the controversy might stir up a more direct intervention from the BCCI.
A meeting between DDCA chief Arun Jaitley and Virender Sehwag is scheduled for later today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested