Germany`s `Octopus oracle` keeps perfect record
Berlin: It won`t come as much of a consolation to heartbroken German fans, but at least Paul, Germany`s now world-famous "Octopus oracle", has maintained his perfect record.
The "psychic" creature has correctly predicted all six of Germany`s World Cup games and, amid excruciating drama broadcast live on national television on Tuesday, plumped for Spain, causing anguish up and down the country.
And the eight-legged soccer soothsayer was spot on Wednesday, as Carles Puyol`s semi-final header shattered Germany`s dreams of winning their fourth World Cup.
Two plastic boxes, one with a German flag and one with a Spanish, were lowered into Paul`s tank at an aquarium in western Germany, each with a tasty morsel of food inside.
The box which Paul opens first is adjudged to be his predicted winner.
But with classic fickleness, German fans turned against their beloved octopus after he forecast a Spanish win.
According to a daily paper, there have been "a host of comments on Facebook, Twitter; suggesting Paul should be fried, barbequed or turned into a seafood salad or paella."
"Others wanted to throw him into the shark tank," the paper reported on its website.
And on Berlin`s "fan-mile", some sections of the crowd also turned against their former hero. Anti-octopus songs were sung.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference