Germany`s `Octopus oracle` keeps perfect record
Berlin: It won`t come as much of a consolation to heartbroken German fans, but at least Paul, Germany`s now world-famous "Octopus oracle", has maintained his perfect record.
The "psychic" creature has correctly predicted all six of Germany`s World Cup games and, amid excruciating drama broadcast live on national television on Tuesday, plumped for Spain, causing anguish up and down the country.
And the eight-legged soccer soothsayer was spot on Wednesday, as Carles Puyol`s semi-final header shattered Germany`s dreams of winning their fourth World Cup.
Two plastic boxes, one with a German flag and one with a Spanish, were lowered into Paul`s tank at an aquarium in western Germany, each with a tasty morsel of food inside.
The box which Paul opens first is adjudged to be his predicted winner.
But with classic fickleness, German fans turned against their beloved octopus after he forecast a Spanish win.
According to a daily paper, there have been "a host of comments on Facebook, Twitter; suggesting Paul should be fried, barbequed or turned into a seafood salad or paella."
"Others wanted to throw him into the shark tank," the paper reported on its website.
And on Berlin`s "fan-mile", some sections of the crowd also turned against their former hero. Anti-octopus songs were sung.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'