Govt bans import of CDMA mobiles without unique numbers
New Delhi: The government has banned import
of CDMA mobile phones that lack unique electronic serial
number and mobile equipment identifier, which help authorities
identify and track users.
"Import of ‘CDMA mobile phones’ without Electronic Serial
Number(ESN)/Mobile Equipment Identifier (MEID) or with all
Zeroes as ESN / MEID is prohibited with immediate effect," the
Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) said in a
There are about 100 million CDMA subscribers in India and
around 5.8 million users are being added per month, according
to the industry.
India imports most of the CDMA phones from China and
A CDMA operator said that CDMA phones are bundled with
operators which do have all the necessary unique numbers but
those available in the open market do not carry any ESN and
Concerns were raised over usage of such phones after
terrorist attacks like the one in Mumbai in November last year
and these devices are seen as a serious threat to security.
These numbers are displayed below the battery or on the
back of the mobile handset. The numbers are used as a means to
facilitate mobile equipment identification and tracking.
ESN is mainly used in CDMA-based technology phones,
compared to IMEI numbers used by all GSM phones.
Earlier in June, the government had banned import of
mobile phones that lack unique IMEI identification number for
GSM players. IMEI is a 15-digit code which tracks the network
of a call made through GSM services.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know