Govt threatens to cancel coal block allotted to Nalco
New Delhi: The government has threatened to cancel a coal block allocated to aluminium maker Nalco for captive use, citing delay in the development of the mine.
In the show-cause notice issued to the company on October 12 for delay in developing the Utkal-E coal block in Orissa, the Coal Ministry said, "The progress (in development of the block) is badly delayed and no serious effort has been made to develop the coal block since the allotment of the block made in the year 2004.
"...and moreover the gestation period of 3.5 years to develop the explored block is also over," the coal ministry said in the letter.
The coal ministry has also taken a serious view of the absence of company officials in series of review meetings it convened to discuss the progress on development of the block.
"No representative attended the (review) meetings, which is a serious lapse on the part of the company. The review meeting has viewed the absence of the company in successive review meeting seriously," it added.
Nalco officials could not be contacted for comments despite repeated attempts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Irfan Pathan marries 21-year-old Safa Baig in low-key affair
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!