Grand reception given to `Magnificent Mary` in Imphal
Imphal: Indian woman boxer M C Mary Kom,who clinched a historic fifth World Championship title in Barbados, was felicitated by Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh after arriving home here from New Delhi, on Saturday morning.
Thousands of people, including students, lined up from Imphal airport to the city and garlanded the Manipuri boxer when she came out of the airport complex, officials said.
A reception was accorded to her at Khuman Lampak sports stadium complex here on Saturday afternoon where Ibobi was the chief guest.
Manipur government has already announced a Rs. 10 lakh prize for Mary Kom, who would next be seen in action at the Asian Games in Guangzhou (China) next month, in recognition of her performance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him