Grand reception given to `Magnificent Mary` in Imphal
Imphal: Indian woman boxer M C Mary Kom,who clinched a historic fifth World Championship title in Barbados, was felicitated by Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh after arriving home here from New Delhi, on Saturday morning.
Thousands of people, including students, lined up from Imphal airport to the city and garlanded the Manipuri boxer when she came out of the airport complex, officials said.
A reception was accorded to her at Khuman Lampak sports stadium complex here on Saturday afternoon where Ibobi was the chief guest.
Manipur government has already announced a Rs. 10 lakh prize for Mary Kom, who would next be seen in action at the Asian Games in Guangzhou (China) next month, in recognition of her performance.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav