‘Grateful to Mayawati for giving Cong credit’
New Delhi: Congress leader Digvijay Singh
on Wednesday took a dig at Mayawati for her contention that his party
was responsible for the defeat of BSP in the Uttar Pradesh
"We are grateful to Mayawatiji for giving Congress party
the credit of defeating BSP," Singh told reporters here.
Singh was speaking at AICC headquarters after Congress
President Sonia Gandhi held a meeting of party general
secretaries and office bearers to discuss the outcome of
assembly elections in five states, including Uttar Pradesh,
and the reasons behind it.
Earlier, when Gandhi was asked about Mayawati blaming
Congress for BSP`s defeat, she said with a smile, "After all
contest happens in an election".
After submitting her resignation to UP Governor B L
Joshi, Mayawati said that 70 per cent of the Muslim votes had
gone to the SP due to the minority reservation issue raised by
"You all know that Congress raised the issue of
reservation for backward Muslims for their political gains
soon after the Vidhan Sabha elections were declared and this
was opposed strongly to by the BJP," she said.
The outgoing Chief Minister said that there were
apprehensions in the minds of Muslims that the upper castes
and OBCs would not vote for the BSP and, hence, they voted for
Asked about Sonia Gandhi`s remarks about the party`s poor
performance in Amethi and Rae Bareli, Singh said out of seven
Congress legislators from these constituencies, only one could
scale through in the elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!