‘Grateful to Mayawati for giving Cong credit’
New Delhi: Congress leader Digvijay Singh
on Wednesday took a dig at Mayawati for her contention that his party
was responsible for the defeat of BSP in the Uttar Pradesh
"We are grateful to Mayawatiji for giving Congress party
the credit of defeating BSP," Singh told reporters here.
Singh was speaking at AICC headquarters after Congress
President Sonia Gandhi held a meeting of party general
secretaries and office bearers to discuss the outcome of
assembly elections in five states, including Uttar Pradesh,
and the reasons behind it.
Earlier, when Gandhi was asked about Mayawati blaming
Congress for BSP`s defeat, she said with a smile, "After all
contest happens in an election".
After submitting her resignation to UP Governor B L
Joshi, Mayawati said that 70 per cent of the Muslim votes had
gone to the SP due to the minority reservation issue raised by
"You all know that Congress raised the issue of
reservation for backward Muslims for their political gains
soon after the Vidhan Sabha elections were declared and this
was opposed strongly to by the BJP," she said.
The outgoing Chief Minister said that there were
apprehensions in the minds of Muslims that the upper castes
and OBCs would not vote for the BSP and, hence, they voted for
Asked about Sonia Gandhi`s remarks about the party`s poor
performance in Amethi and Rae Bareli, Singh said out of seven
Congress legislators from these constituencies, only one could
scale through in the elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now