Gujarat Elections 2012: ‘Eight illiterates in fray for Guj Assembly elections’
Ahmedabad: A peep into the educational qualification of the candidates in fray for Gujarat Assembly elections reveals that eight are illiterate and 272 (56 per cent) of the 482 candidates analysed are matric pass or below, as per an analysis of National Election Watch.
National Election Watch (NEW), an NGO, conducted an analysis based on the educational background of the candidates in fray.
NEW has analysed 482 candidates out of total 846 who are contesting the phase one polls, in which they found that eight were illiterate, 42 literate, 48 class 5th pass, 75 class 8th pass, 99 class 10th pass, 60 class 12th pass, besides, 72 are graduates, 45 graduate professionals, 19 post graduates and three PhD holders.
BSP candidate from Jamnagar rural, Dodepautra Hajibhai, was found to be illiterate. The party candidate from Mangrol, Mori Nathabhia, was also illiterate, besides two independent candidates and one of LJSP from Mahuva constituency, Mer Lakhabhai, as per NEW report.
A party wise analysis of the educational background of candidates reveals, BSP has fielded maximum candidates (19) who are 5th pass, followed by Keshubahi-led Gujarat Parivartan Party (6), Samajwadi Party (5), besides 9 independents.
BSP candidates from Sanand, Junagadh and Tankara, amongst others are 5th pass, while those contesting on SP ticket from Nandod and Jamnagar rural are with similar qualifications, as per NEW report.
GPP has the highest number of candidates (18) who are 8th pass, followed by BJP (10), BSP (8), INC (8), besides 14 independent candidates.
BJP has fielded a maximum of 21 candidates who are just matric pass, followed by BSP (20), GPP (19), INC (16), besides 14 independent candidates.
Gujarat goes to polls on December 13 and 17, while counting will take place on December 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Uttarakhand: BJP MLA Prem Singh Rana insulted during CM Harish Rawat's speech
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth