Gujarat Elections 2012: ‘Eight illiterates in fray for Guj Assembly elections’
Ahmedabad: A peep into the educational qualification of the candidates in fray for Gujarat Assembly elections reveals that eight are illiterate and 272 (56 per cent) of the 482 candidates analysed are matric pass or below, as per an analysis of National Election Watch.
National Election Watch (NEW), an NGO, conducted an analysis based on the educational background of the candidates in fray.
NEW has analysed 482 candidates out of total 846 who are contesting the phase one polls, in which they found that eight were illiterate, 42 literate, 48 class 5th pass, 75 class 8th pass, 99 class 10th pass, 60 class 12th pass, besides, 72 are graduates, 45 graduate professionals, 19 post graduates and three PhD holders.
BSP candidate from Jamnagar rural, Dodepautra Hajibhai, was found to be illiterate. The party candidate from Mangrol, Mori Nathabhia, was also illiterate, besides two independent candidates and one of LJSP from Mahuva constituency, Mer Lakhabhai, as per NEW report.
A party wise analysis of the educational background of candidates reveals, BSP has fielded maximum candidates (19) who are 5th pass, followed by Keshubahi-led Gujarat Parivartan Party (6), Samajwadi Party (5), besides 9 independents.
BSP candidates from Sanand, Junagadh and Tankara, amongst others are 5th pass, while those contesting on SP ticket from Nandod and Jamnagar rural are with similar qualifications, as per NEW report.
GPP has the highest number of candidates (18) who are 8th pass, followed by BJP (10), BSP (8), INC (8), besides 14 independent candidates.
BJP has fielded a maximum of 21 candidates who are just matric pass, followed by BSP (20), GPP (19), INC (16), besides 14 independent candidates.
Gujarat goes to polls on December 13 and 17, while counting will take place on December 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday