Gujarat Elections 2012: ‘Eight illiterates in fray for Guj Assembly elections’
Ahmedabad: A peep into the educational qualification of the candidates in fray for Gujarat Assembly elections reveals that eight are illiterate and 272 (56 per cent) of the 482 candidates analysed are matric pass or below, as per an analysis of National Election Watch.
National Election Watch (NEW), an NGO, conducted an analysis based on the educational background of the candidates in fray.
NEW has analysed 482 candidates out of total 846 who are contesting the phase one polls, in which they found that eight were illiterate, 42 literate, 48 class 5th pass, 75 class 8th pass, 99 class 10th pass, 60 class 12th pass, besides, 72 are graduates, 45 graduate professionals, 19 post graduates and three PhD holders.
BSP candidate from Jamnagar rural, Dodepautra Hajibhai, was found to be illiterate. The party candidate from Mangrol, Mori Nathabhia, was also illiterate, besides two independent candidates and one of LJSP from Mahuva constituency, Mer Lakhabhai, as per NEW report.
A party wise analysis of the educational background of candidates reveals, BSP has fielded maximum candidates (19) who are 5th pass, followed by Keshubahi-led Gujarat Parivartan Party (6), Samajwadi Party (5), besides 9 independents.
BSP candidates from Sanand, Junagadh and Tankara, amongst others are 5th pass, while those contesting on SP ticket from Nandod and Jamnagar rural are with similar qualifications, as per NEW report.
GPP has the highest number of candidates (18) who are 8th pass, followed by BJP (10), BSP (8), INC (8), besides 14 independent candidates.
BJP has fielded a maximum of 21 candidates who are just matric pass, followed by BSP (20), GPP (19), INC (16), besides 14 independent candidates.
Gujarat goes to polls on December 13 and 17, while counting will take place on December 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India