Hundreds of Pakistan Islamists protest against Osama killing
Quetta: About 1,500 Pakistani Islamists protested on Friday against the killing of Osama bin Laden, saying more figures like him would arise to wage holy war against the United States.
Pre-dominantly Muslim Pakistan has yet to see any major backlash after US special forces killed bin Laden early on Monday not far from the capital Islamabad.
But his death has angered Islamists, with one major hardline political party calling on Pakistan`s government to end its support for the US war on militancy.
"Jihad (holy war) against America will not stop with the death of Osama," Fazal Mohammad Baraich, a cleric, said amid shouts of "Down with America" at a demonstration near the city of Quetta, capital of Baluchistan province in the southwest.
"Osama bin Laden is a shaheed (martyr). The blood of Osama will give birth to thousands of other Osamas."
Others burned American flags.
More protests were expected after Friday prayers in Pakistan after the biggest Islamist political party, Jamaat-e-Islami, called for mass demonstrations against what it said was a violation of Pakistan`s sovereignty in the US raid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!