IHF, IWHF merger tomorrow
New Delhi: The KPS Gill-led Indian Hockey Federation is all set to merge with the Indian Women`s Hockey Federation to strengthen its claim for being the sole representative body for the sport in the country.
Re-recognised by the Sports Ministry, the IHF is trying to get the approval of the International Hockey Federation, which considers Hockey India as the sole representative for the sport.
One of the pre-requisites for getting the FIH recognition is to have a single body for both the men`s and women`s hockey. IHF and IWHF would be confirming to this norm tomorrow in a meeting here.
"We have a meeting tomorrow and we are going to merge as per the government guidelines. We have completed the formalities. We have requested for a government observer and hopefully we will get one for tomorrow," IWHF secretary Amrit Bose told reporters.
At present, there is confusion over which body is the official representative of hockey in India as both HI and IHF have staked their claim.
While the IHF, which has promised to comply with the Sports Ministry`s age and tenure-limitation guidelines, has the government`s backing, HI enjoys FIH`s support.
Peeved by the FIH`s stand to recognise HI, the Sports Ministry has stated that HI had no right to select teams as it was a "private body" and that IHF should be given time to be fully compliant with world governing body`s guidelines.
The ministry also asked the FIH not to deal with HI any more as it has lost its national character and allow the IOA or the Sports Authority of India to field the Indian team for international events till the issue was resolved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you