`Incredible India` campaign wins World Travel Award
London: The `Incredible India` campaign, an
initiative by the Indian government to promote tourism, has
won the World Travel Award 2009 for being the best campaign of
The reigning Miss World, Ksenia Kukhinova of Russia,
presented the award to India`s Tourism Minister, Kumari Selja
at a gala function held here.
Selja, who is here to participate in the World Travel
Market, also received the Asian Guild Award for promoting the
`Incredible India` campaign at a function held at the House of
Lords last evening.
The Award and Fellowship of the Asian Guild was presented
to her by Lord Peter Archer of Sandwell.
The Guild also bestowed the Fellowship on Jagdish
Chander, Director, India Tourist Office here for his "hard
work to carry out the conviction of Incredible India Campaign
in the UK.
Suresh Joshi, Joint Director General of the Asian Guild,
said, "Incredible India has enriched the status of the Asian in
British Society by broadening the tradition and culture of
Shelja said, "Incredible India initiative was conceived in
the year 2002, when we decided to brand the country as a
unique, vibrant and inclusive identity.
"Through this branding, an attempt was made to create a
distinct image for the country."
Shelja noted that there was no doubt that the Incredible
India initiative has positioned the country in the mind of the
discerning traveler and thus played a major role in the
growth of tourist arrivals to the country as well as foreign
exchange earnings from tourism.
"It has also re-enforced interest in the country and
contributed in generating awareness about India among the
The successful campaigns have created a sense of pride
amongst the communities of Indian origin residing in different
parts of the world, including the UK.
The minister said that India was also working to improve
the facilities and services at important tourism destinations.
"We have taken initiatives to develop new tourism
products such as wellness, adventure and rural tourism, which
offer the visiting tourist a rejuvenating and enriching
experience," she said, adding all out efforts would be made to
position India as the leading tourism destination in the
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark