India can table national climate plan at Copenhagen: Pachauri
New Delhi: Leading environment expert R K
Pachauri today said India could table its domestic plans on
climate change at the Copenhagen meet in case rest of the
world agrees for collective commitments on emission cuts and
ensures funds and technology to combat the threat.
"Of course India being a growing country cannot take any
binding emission cuts. But if the talks happen in that way
(developed nations agreeing for emission reductions), there
would be no getting away from the fact that India will be
under pressure," he said.
"I personally think that in that scenario India should be
willing to lay its National Action Plan on Climate change at
the table at Copenhagen," the head of the UN Intergovernmental
Panel on Climate Change said at a function here.
With just six days left for the 15th Conference of
Parties at Copenhagen, he called for concrete commitments from
the developed nations who have been historically responsible
for accumulation of greenhouse gases causing climate change.
"There has to be a collective target among countries for
setting their emission reduction of about 20 per cent by 2020
... they (industrialised nations) would also have to come up
with the figure and that how much financial assistance and
technology transfer is being provided to the developing
countries," he noted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’