India Inc condoles Basu`s death
New Delhi: India Inc today condoled the sad demise of veteran CPI(M) leader and former West Bengal chief minister Jyoti Basu.
"With the sad demise of Basu, India and CPI(M) have lost a great politician, social worker and intellectual par excellence of mellowed wisdom and diversified experience and talent as well," Assocham President Swati Piramal said in a condolence message.
The Assocham said his death has created a vacuum which is unlikely to be fulfilled. "India and the Indian industry will remember the great leader for his enormous contribution in all walks of life and particularly for his initiative to introduce land reforms," it said.
Conveying condolences, CII President Venu Srinivasan said that with the passing away of Jyoti Basu, the nation has lost a visionary and a leader of stature.
"Jyoti Basu served as the Chief Minister of West Bengal between 1977-2000. During his tenure, the state has made significant progress towards inclusive growth and development," he said.
Basu died on Sunday of multi-organ failure after being struck by pneumonia 17 days ago. The former West Bengal Chief Minister was 95 and is survived by son Chandan. His wife Kamal pre-deceased him four years ago.
"He was a tall leader who could have been Prime Minister of India in 1996. The industry had lots of differnces with him but he a was a stellar Bengali Bhadralok who always engaged in dialogue and understanding of the other point of view," Ficci
Secretary General Amit Mitra said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India