India unlikely to return to 9% GDP before 2012
Mumbai: India is unlikely to return to nine per cent growth rate before 2012 as the global economy is expected to take at least two more years to recover.
"It would be unrealistic to expect that the average
growth rate over the next five years would be nine per cent. A
more realistic assessment would be that India would revert to
the nine per cent growth rate by the end of the Eleventh
Plan (2011-12)," former RBI Governor S S Tarapore said.
At an event organised by Dan & Bradstreet last evening,
Tarapore said it would be necessary for the global economy to
recover fully for the economy to revert to 8.5 to 9 per cent
Welcoming the Government`s plans of stepping up
investments in public and private sectors, he said that as
these sectors have a long "gestation lags", increased
investment in these sectors could not be reflected in an
immediate increase in output.
The present Government, he said, has quite correctly
given a policy tilt to poverty alleviation, thereby
emphasising the quality of GDP growth.
"A basic dictum of microeconomic policy is that the
pattern of investment determines the pattern of output and the
pattern of output, in turn, determines the distribution of
income," the former banker said.
"This is the underlying rationale for the strong tilt in
the Union Budget for 2009-10 towards social sector investment.
Ultimately, enduring growth requires that it be inclusive,"
He, however, does not agree with the Government`s policy
of financing its large fiscal deficit without crowding out of
the commercial sector and increasing interest rates.
"If we are able to attain all these objectives without
the attendant pain, it would be ideal, but unfortunately after
unrestricted sinning, it is not easy to move to paradise
again," Tarapore said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced