India unlikely to return to 9% GDP before 2012
Mumbai: India is unlikely to return to nine per cent growth rate before 2012 as the global economy is expected to take at least two more years to recover.
"It would be unrealistic to expect that the average
growth rate over the next five years would be nine per cent. A
more realistic assessment would be that India would revert to
the nine per cent growth rate by the end of the Eleventh
Plan (2011-12)," former RBI Governor S S Tarapore said.
At an event organised by Dan & Bradstreet last evening,
Tarapore said it would be necessary for the global economy to
recover fully for the economy to revert to 8.5 to 9 per cent
Welcoming the Government`s plans of stepping up
investments in public and private sectors, he said that as
these sectors have a long "gestation lags", increased
investment in these sectors could not be reflected in an
immediate increase in output.
The present Government, he said, has quite correctly
given a policy tilt to poverty alleviation, thereby
emphasising the quality of GDP growth.
"A basic dictum of microeconomic policy is that the
pattern of investment determines the pattern of output and the
pattern of output, in turn, determines the distribution of
income," the former banker said.
"This is the underlying rationale for the strong tilt in
the Union Budget for 2009-10 towards social sector investment.
Ultimately, enduring growth requires that it be inclusive,"
He, however, does not agree with the Government`s policy
of financing its large fiscal deficit without crowding out of
the commercial sector and increasing interest rates.
"If we are able to attain all these objectives without
the attendant pain, it would be ideal, but unfortunately after
unrestricted sinning, it is not easy to move to paradise
again," Tarapore said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!