India`s football structure needs total revamp: Nassiri
Kolkata: India`s football structure needs a total revamp for the sport to flourish and prosper, said former Iranian striker Jamshed Nassiri, who has made the city his home after coming to Kolkata to play for East Bengal in 1980.
"We need to overhaul the Indian football structure. I can`t see any hope unless and until there is total revamp. Facilities should be created to tap young talent to provide them better training facilities, exposure and skill development programmes," said Nassiri.
"There is a whole lot of raw talent in India. If proper mechanism is created to work at the grassroots, then Indian football can be on the world map. The administration and management should focus on developing the football infrastructure. The training facilities here are outdated; there are not many grounds. Whatever grounds are there, they are not up to the mark," said Nassiri.
Speaking on the sidelines of the Arsenal Tata Tea Soccer Stars, (a football talent hunt programme), Nassiri also said Bob Houghton -the former coach of the Indian national football team - did a great job and more people like him are required for the game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday