Injured Youzhny and Andreev out of St Petersburg
St Petersburg: Top seed Mikhail Youzhny retired with a back injury midway through his second-round match against Denis Istomin at the St Petersburg Open on Thursday.
Youzhny, fresh from winning his first Kremlin Cup title on Sunday, took a medical timeout after losing the first set but was forced to quit three games later, trailing 6-2, 2-1.
"I just felt a sharp pain in my back midway through the first set," the Russian world number 25 told a news conference.
"I had to battle through the pain for the rest of the first set. The medical break didn`t help either and soon I knew that I couldn`t go any longer and had to stop."
"I just hope it`s not too serious," added Youzhny, who has been suffering from back pains for much of the season.
Fifth-seeded compatriot Igor Andreev followed Youzhny out of the indoor tournament when he retired with a knee injury in the second set of his second-round encounter against Marat Safin, trailing 6-3, 0-1.
"It`s an old injury, I`ve had it on and off for the last few months," 38th-ranked Andreev told a news conference.
"I started feeling some pain in my left knee even before the match but I thought I would still be able to play. In the end, I just couldn`t do it any more."
Safin said he was unaware his opponent was injured.
"I was just concentrating on my game and didn`t know he was feeling pain in his knee," said the former world number one, playing in his penultimate tournament before retiring.
"In any case, I`m just happy I got through to the next round," added the Russian, who will now take on 101st-ranked Istomin of Uzbekistan in the last eight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!