IPL snub: ‘Insulted’ PCB to approach govt
Lahore: Upset over the `boycott` of Pakistani cricketers by the franchises during the Indian Premier Legue`s (IPL) auction on Tuesday, Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chief Ijaz Butt has lambasted IPL commissioner Lalit Modi, saying he failed to respond to his calls.
Butt said he has asked the sports ministry to raise the issue with the Indian government.
"I am unhappy that none of the Pakistani players were auctioned in the IPL`s third edition.I have also asked federal minister for sports to take up this issue with his Indian counterpart," The News quoted Butt, as saying.
No player from Pakistan was picked up during the IPL 3 auction. Flambouyant all-rounder Shahid Afridi and left-arm pacer Sohail Tanvir came under the hammer but had no takers.
The list of players that was put up for auction included 11 each from Pakistan, Australia and South Africa, nine from Sri Lanka, eight each from England and West Indies, four from New Zealand and one each from Bangladesh, Canada, Zimbabwe and Holland.
Meanwhile, Afridi`s Manager Umran Khan has also blasted Modi.
"I`d heard prior to the auction that franchises were being advised not to bid for Pakistani players, as the players from Pakistan would not be issued with visas by the Indian government, and that is precisely what has happened".
"The Indian Premier League have been using Afridi`s name and pictures to publicise the tournament and to build up the hype and he was expected to be one of the most popular players amongst the franchises," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali