It`s a pleasant surprise to receive this honour: Poonia
New Delhi: Ace discus thrower Krishna Poonia did not even know her name had been recommended by the AFI for Padma Shri award and the honour has come as "pleasant surprise."
"I did not know my name was recommended by the Atheltics Federation of India (AFI) for the award. I was pleasantly surprised because I came to know about it only from the media," was Poonia`s first reactions.
"I am happy that I have got the award after my historic performance in CWG. I became the first Indian woman to win an individual athletics gold in CWG and I think that was the main reason for me getting this award."
Poonia feels that this award will be a motivation do strive hard and earn more laurels for the country.
"It will give motivation to do better in the coming events, including the London Olympics in 2012. This is also an honour for the athletics fraternity of our country."
"I dedicate the award to my family, colleagues and the people of India," she concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional