J&K govt to challenge Army`s stand on manhandling case
Leh: Jammu and Kashmir government has
taken a strong objection to the Army`s claim that police could
not proceed against its officers who had allegedly manhandled
civilian and police officials while they were returning after
demolishing an "unauthorised" structure of the Army at the
picturesque Pangong lake in Ladakh region of the state.
Countering the claims in an affidavit filed in Jammu and
Kashmir High Court, the state government had readied its reply
which pointed to "gross irregularities" in the Army`s claim
that its officers could not be prosecuted by the state police
as Ladakh region fell within the ambit of Armed Forces Special
The state government will now be informing the High
Court on October 15, the next date of hearing, that Ladakh
district is not within the ambit of AFSPA and that no one was
permitted to violate the law, official sources said.
The dispute erupted as police secured a non-bailable
warrant against three Army officers, including a Major
General, from Chief Judicial Magistrate in Leh for allegedly
manhandling civilian officials who were returning from Pangong
lake after demolishing the alleged illegal structure erected
by the Army in 2005.
Army, while seeking a stay on the non-bailable warrant
against the three officers, had informed the High Court that
section four of AFSPA barred the state police from taking any
action against them until permitted by the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- F1 radio ban: FIA tightens rules on controversial communication rules before Hungarian GP
- Reduced oxygen can cause childhood heart disease
- Premier Futsal: Goa 5's outclass Bengaluru 5's 3-0, seal semi-final spot
- Scientists reconstruct detailed 3D eyes from single photo
- Santander pips BBVA: Eurozone`s largest bank becomes La Liga's newest sponsors