Jankovic, Clijsters advance at Indian Wells
Indian Wells: Former champions Jelena Jankovic and Kim Clijsters cruised into the third round by posting straight-set victories at the WTA and ATP Masters 1000 event.
World No. 2 Clijsters, who won in 2005 and 2003, swept past Russian Alla Kudryavtseva with a dominating 6-2, 6-0 victory in the second round of the hardcourt tournament.
Defending champion Jankovic also showed plenty of firepower, crushing Coco Vandeweghe of the United States in straight sets 6-2, 6-1.
"I was happy to be playing out on centre court," Clijsters said. "For a first match, I`m at a stage now where I haven`t played for a while, and when I was playing, my last few tournaments were indoors.
"So I kind of just have to get back into playing outdoors again and big arenas, and just get a feel for it all over again."
There were three former women`s champions in action Friday, including Serbia`s Ana Ivanovic who defeated Japan`s Kimiko Date-Krumm 6-4, 6-2 in Friday`s evening session. Ivanovic won here three years ago.
The women`s draw also includes world No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark who lost in the final last year to Jankovic 6-2, 6-4.
Second seed Clijsters needed just 52 minutes to beat Kudryavtseva and advance to play Sara Errani. Italy`s Errani defeated Jarmila Groth 7-5, 4-6, 6-2.
Belgium`s Clijsters clinched her match when the Russian`s forehand return sailed wide left.
Clijsters could surpass Wozniacki with a strong performance in Indian Wells. Clijsters was ranked 133rd in the world when she won in 2005.
She hit three aces, won six of nine break-point chances and won 65 percent of the total points against Kudryavtseva. Clijsters won the second set in a blistering 21 minutes.
Jankovic began her title defence in equally dominating fashion, hitting four aces and winning 80 percent (20 of 25) first-serve points.
She is trying to become the first woman since Martina Navratilova in 1990-91 to win back-to-back Indian Wells titles.
"The last couple of weeks I have been starting to feel confident in my game," Jankovic said.
"She made a lot of mistakes. I didn`t really know what to expect because I only played her once before at the US Open. But I knew she had a big serve."
Jankovic moves on to the third round where she will play Julia Goerges of Germany who beat Austrian Sybille Bammer 6-1, 6-3 on Friday.
In other key women`s matches, reigning French Open champion Francesca Schiavone of Italy dominated Czech Zuzana Ondraskova 6-2, 6-0 and 12th seeded Petra Kvitova lost 3-6, 6-2, 7-5 to fellow Czech Barbora Zahlavova Strycova.
Wozniacki, two-time Indian Wells champ Daniela Hantuchova and former world No. 1 Maria Sharapova of Russia play their first matches on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark