Japan crisis: PM says need to revisit N-strategy
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
Friday said the nuclear crisis in Japan has underlined the need for revisiting strategies for safety of atomic plants and that
he has already ordered a "thorough review".
"The tragic nuclear incidents in Japan in the aftermath
of the recent earthquake and tsunami should make us revisit
strategies for nuclear safety, learning lessons from these
experiences," he said addressing the India Today Conclave
"I have already ordered a thorough review by the
Department of Atomic Energy," he said.
The Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL),
that operates all the nuclear power plants in the country,
said it was undertaking a review of the safety measures at all
the plant sites and would augment the same, if required.
In Chennai, NPCIL Chairman-cum-Managing Director S K Jain
said there would be no compromise on safety measures at any of
the nuclear plants.
At the same time, he pointed out that Indian nuclear
power plants had successfully withstood the strongest
earthquake at Bhuj in Gujarat and the devastating tsunami that
hit parts of the southern coast in December 2004.
He said the nuclear power plants being build at
Kudankulam in Tamil Nadu had several additional safety
measures that enable immediate shutdown of even in the absence
of plant operators.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened