Japan, Germany also seek US endorsement for permanent SC seat
New Delhi: A day after President Barack Obama
backed India for a permanent seat in the UN Security Council,
America`s closest allies -- Japan and Germany -- are looking
for getting a similar endorsement, US Ambassador to India
Timothy Roemer has said.
"Well you could imagine from the reaction on the front
pages of newspapers today when the President made this
announcement. ... We are seeing reactions from some of our
closest allies -- Japan and Germany -- who thought they might
also be able to get this kind of a strong endorsement or a
same reaction from other countries in the region," Roemer said to a news agency.
He agreed with a comment by the questioner on Japan and
Germany wondering what happened to their case.
"What about us? Why is India so important and so
strategically vital to the US," he said in reply to remarks
apparently on the top of the minds of the two key allies.
India, along with Germany, Japan and Brazil had formed an
alliance to support each other`s bids for permanent seats on
the Security Council.
Obama yesterday wound up his three-day visit here with
the announcement of broad support to India`s bid for permanent
seat in the UN Security Council.
The announcement, which was greeted by thunderous
applause by members of Parliament, was tempered with his
suggestions for what India should do to fulfill its increased
responsibility that comes with increased power.
"Indeed, the just and sustainable international order
that America seeks includes a United Nations that is
efficient, effective, credible and legitimate.
"That is why I can say today in the years ahead, I look
forward to a reformed UN Security Council that includes India
as a permanent member," he had said in his speech in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed