Kandhamal riots contained successfully: Former DGP
Bhubaneswar: Former DGP Gopal Chandra
Nanda on Saturday told a Judicial Commission that Orissa Police had
successfully "contained the communal violence" in the wake of
killing of VHP leader Laxmananda Saraswati last year.
Nanda submitting his affidavit in accordance with the
questions asked by the one-man Judicial Commission probing the
violence in the aftermath of the killing of Saraswati claimed
that the violence was contained within a month.
"Orissa Police with its limited resources had done a
great job during the violence at Kandhamal," he told the
commission of Justice S C Mohapatra.
Nanda was the Director-General of Orissa Police when
Saraswati was killed at his ashram at Jalespeta on August 23,
2008, that triggered large scale violence in Kandhamal and
some other areas of the state.
Present DGP Manmohan Praharaj, who sought 15-day for
presenting his views was asked to depose before the commission
on September 14, sources said.
Director of Intelligence Prakash Mishra, who also
submitted his affidavit, said he was not associated with the
job of handling the riots as he was posted in the Police
Housing Corporation during that time.
Justice Mohapatra had yesterday asked the three senior
police officers to submit additional affidavits in accordance
with the terms of reference of the commission of inquiry.
However, Justice Mohapatra refused to divulge the
contents of Nanda`s affidavit, saying "It will not be
appropriate to speak on the affidavit given by the former DGP.
I may accept or reject his point of views".
Besides probing the sequence of events and
circumstances leading to the killing of Saraswati and
incidents of violence that followed, the commission was also
inquiring into whether the measures taken, the quantum of
force used in anticipating, preventing and handling the
situation were adequate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof