La Liga announce new tournament in Asia to boost brand
Madrid: Spain`s La Liga revealed plans to host an annual pre-season tournament in Asia in a bid to boost their brand in a region dominated by the English Premier League.
The International LFP Cup will begin next year and feature three Spanish sides and one local team but the tournament, which will start in a south-east Asian country, will eventually move around the world.
"With Spain emerging as champions of the 2010 World Cup, we felt this is the best time to introduce the International LFP Cup and share the beauty of Spanish football with the Asian market," Francisco Roca Perez, CEO of La Liga, said in a statement.
Perez told reporters at the Soccerex Asian Forum in Singapore that details of the teams and host country for the first tournament will be named later this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt