Leaders Bayern sunk by two late Frankfurt goals
Dusseldorf: Eintracht Frankfurt stunned Bayern Munich with two late goals to beat the Bundesliga leaders 2-1 on Saturday and leave the top spot up for grabs.
Substitute Juvhel Tsoumou drew the hosts level in the 87th minute after Miroslav Klose had put Bayern ahead early on. Martin Fenin then completed the comeback with an 89th-minute winner.
Bayern, who had not lost in the league for 19 games, have 56 points from 27 matches. Second-placed Schalke 04, on 54, travel to Hamburg SV on Sunday.
Bayer Leverkusen, third on 53 points, are in action later on Saturday against in-form Borussia Dortmund.
Visiting Bayern shrugged off the absence of injured playmaker Franck Ribery and strikers Mario Gomez and Ivica Olic to take a seventh-minute lead.
Captain Mark van Bommel sent a deep cross into the box and Klose beat the offside trap to score from close range.
Bayern almost immediately stepped off the gas and Frankfurt seized the opportunity to pour forward.
The home team went agonisingly close to an equaliser when Benjamin Koehler`s long-range effort forced a spectacular save from Bayern keeper Hans-Joerg Butt.
Koehler also tried his luck with a header but Butt was again at hand to palm the ball over the bar, just after visiting defender Daniel van Buyten had stopped an Alexander Meier header on the line.
Frankfurt, who ended a three-match losing streak, kept up the pressure in the second half and were unlucky not to level before Tsoumou, who had come on just four minutes earlier, pounced on a bad clearance by Butt in the 87th.
With the Bavarians still reeling, Halil Altintop sent a deep cross to substitute Fenin who shook off 17-year-old defender David Alaba to fire the winner.
Elsewhere, Werder Bremen moved up to fourth on 45 points with a 3-2 home victory over VfL Bochum thanks to goals from Claudio Pizarro, Marko Marin and Torsten Frings.
VfB Stuttgart overcame Hanover 96 2-0, Freiburg beat Mainz 1-0 and Nuremberg shared a 0-0 draw with Hoffenheim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why