Leaders Bayern sunk by two late Frankfurt goals
Dusseldorf: Eintracht Frankfurt stunned Bayern Munich with two late goals to beat the Bundesliga leaders 2-1 on Saturday and leave the top spot up for grabs.
Substitute Juvhel Tsoumou drew the hosts level in the 87th minute after Miroslav Klose had put Bayern ahead early on. Martin Fenin then completed the comeback with an 89th-minute winner.
Bayern, who had not lost in the league for 19 games, have 56 points from 27 matches. Second-placed Schalke 04, on 54, travel to Hamburg SV on Sunday.
Bayer Leverkusen, third on 53 points, are in action later on Saturday against in-form Borussia Dortmund.
Visiting Bayern shrugged off the absence of injured playmaker Franck Ribery and strikers Mario Gomez and Ivica Olic to take a seventh-minute lead.
Captain Mark van Bommel sent a deep cross into the box and Klose beat the offside trap to score from close range.
Bayern almost immediately stepped off the gas and Frankfurt seized the opportunity to pour forward.
The home team went agonisingly close to an equaliser when Benjamin Koehler`s long-range effort forced a spectacular save from Bayern keeper Hans-Joerg Butt.
Koehler also tried his luck with a header but Butt was again at hand to palm the ball over the bar, just after visiting defender Daniel van Buyten had stopped an Alexander Meier header on the line.
Frankfurt, who ended a three-match losing streak, kept up the pressure in the second half and were unlucky not to level before Tsoumou, who had come on just four minutes earlier, pounced on a bad clearance by Butt in the 87th.
With the Bavarians still reeling, Halil Altintop sent a deep cross to substitute Fenin who shook off 17-year-old defender David Alaba to fire the winner.
Elsewhere, Werder Bremen moved up to fourth on 45 points with a 3-2 home victory over VfL Bochum thanks to goals from Claudio Pizarro, Marko Marin and Torsten Frings.
VfB Stuttgart overcame Hanover 96 2-0, Freiburg beat Mainz 1-0 and Nuremberg shared a 0-0 draw with Hoffenheim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened