LK Advani flays Jaiswal`s statement
Allahabad: BJP leader LK Advani on Thursday
criticized Union Minister Shri Prakash Jaiswal`s remark that
President`s rule could be imposed in Uttar Pradesh in the
event of Congress not getting majority in assembly poll and
said such a move would be "misuse" of a constitutional
"What the Union Minister seems to be advocating is a
misuse of a constitutional provision. President`s rule is
supposed to be imposed only when there is a constitutional
crisis and the government of the state concerned has become
dysfunctional", Advani told reporters here.
Without naming any particular party, he said "governments
at the Centre prior to 1998, when the BJP came to power, have
often been guilty of misuse of Article 356 of the
Constitution, which is invoked for clamping President`s rule
in a state".
"Concerns about possible misuse of Article 356 were
raised while the Constitution was being drafted. Bhim Rao
Ambedkar had then allayed such fears as he foresaw no such
danger. Unfortunately, he was proven wrong by successive
regimes in the country and the provision was misused many
times to settle scores with political opponents", he said.
Meanwhile, Jaiswal said his statement was "distorted"
barely a few hours after having reportedly stated in Kanpur
that "in case we don`t get majority, we sit in the opposition
and I see no alternative to Governor`s rule".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi