Long-term impact of drug use - Brain damage
Sydney: A new research on ecstasy, ice and speed users in Australia has uncovered tell-tale signs of brain damage.
The study adds to concerns over the long-term impact of drug use.
As part of the study, doctors at Royal Perth Hospital scanned the brains of 30 patients who were treated in the emergency department for problems related to their amphetamine use.
A majority reported having concentration and mood problems, while half admitted to suffering memory problems when not high.
Six patients showed signs of brain damage, often an "unidentified bright object" on their scan, which indicated a point of damage usually in their brain`s frontal lobe.
"Abnormalities on brain MRI scans were identified in six patients, most commonly an unidentified bright object (UBO)," the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Daniel Fatovich, from the hospital`s Centre for Clinical Research in Emergency Medicine.
"... While the significance of this is uncertain it is congruent with evidence that amphetamines cause brain injury, and therefore could have public health implications," he said.
The patients were mostly men and had a history of ice, speed or ecstasy use that spanned several years.
The research indicated one in five had suffered a likely drug-related brain injury.
Prof Fatovich said the finding added to "emerging evidence of serious long-term effects of amphetamine use, including depression, anxiety, psychosis and memory disturbance".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi