Malaysia’s Hing in quarter-finals
Mumbai: Fourth seed Choong Kam Hing of Malaysia announced his arrival with an exciting 3-1 win to advance to the Men’s Open quarter-finals in the 35th Bombay Gymkhana-HSBC Maharashtra State Open Squash Championship here on Wednesday.
Adding foreign flavour to the competition, Hing warmed up in Mumbai’s humidity with a comfortable 2-0 lead and went on to overcome Gary Nitschke of Australia 11-1, 11-2, 7-11, 13-11.
Nitschke came up with a late challenge and snatched a close third game to keep his hopes alive, before losing the crucial fourth and the match over extra points.
Hing’s effort overshadowed Capt Arjun Agnihotri’s thrilling 3-2 win over former National champion Manish Chotrani who surprised the armyman with a 2-0 and a late challenge in another pre-quarter-final.
Impressing among the juniors were Dev Vazirani of Otters Club and Vikas Mehra who registered exciting 3-2 wins to enter the boys under-13 quarter-finals, while Aditya Khatri beat Aryaman Adik 19-17, 11-9, 9-11, 11-6 in a quality contest to advance to the boys under-15 quarter-finals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!