Manufacturing growth picks up in Sept: PMI
Mumbai: The pace of India`s manufacturing activity rose in September, recovering from a drop to a five-month low in August, as domestic demand and robust factory orders picked up, a survey showed.
The HSBC Markit Purchasing Managers` Index (PMI), based on a survey of 500 companies, rose to 55 in September from 53.2 in August.
The index has been above 50, which separates expansion from contraction, for six months. Before that, it shrank for five consecutive months through March, hitting a trough of 44.4 in December 2008.
"It is encouraging to see the PMI index move up again in September after last month`s decline, allaying fears that the industrial cycle has peaked," said Robert Prior-Wandesforde, senior Asia economist at HSBC.
"Given that the full effects of the monetary and fiscal stimulus have still to be felt, while oil and gas output is set to rise and the regional, world trade cycle should improve, we are confident that industrial growth will not just remain firm but trend higher from here," he added.
The new orders index rose to 58.3, from August`s 56.2, which was its lowest in four months.
Wandersforde said the positive drivers for industrial growth should more than offset the negative effects of the drought.
"With overall orders improving sharply to 58.3, the implication is that domestic demand strengthened considerably in September," he said.
"On the activity side, the most disappointing aspect of the release was the small fall in the export orders balance to 50.9," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack