Markets to rise in the next three months: Poll
Mumbai: Money managers may not raise their stock exposure significantly on valuation concerns but see the benchmark index rising in the next three months given ample global liquidity, a poll showed.
Six out of the seven fund houses who responded to the Reuters Asset Allocation Poll conducted between July 22 and July 30 said they plan to either retain or cut equity stakes.
Three of them said Indian shares were overvalued after surging more than 90 percent from 2009-low hit in early March, while others found it fairly valued. All but one fund house expect the index to climb up to 10 percent in three months.
"It all depends on global liquidity," said Jayesh Shroff, a fund manager at SBI Funds Management.
The "world is too volatile still. We are changing every three months," he added.
Foreign portfolio investors, key to India`s share market performance, have invested about USD 7 billion in 2009, powering a near 60 percent surge in the benchmark 30-share index.
The re-election of a Congress lead UPA government with a decisive mandate and signs of economic recovery on back of government stimulus has helped sentiment.
Financials, Auto In Favour
But six firms said they will not cut cash levels in equity funds, given a sharp rally in shares, and rejig their portfolios in favour of relatively liquid large-cap shares from sectors such as auto, consumers, energy and financial services.
"It`s a period when we are not fully convinced that earnings are going to come through," said IV Subramaniam, chief investment officer of Quantum Advisors Pvt Ltd, adding he saw selective opportunities in the financial sector.
Five of the seven poll respondents said they would raise exposure to financials in three months, boosting exposure to the most preferred sector of Indian funds industry which controlled 18 percent of diversified funds equity investments in June.
Four fund houses said they would raise bets on energy firms on hopes government might allow oil firms to charge market rates for their products and sell stakes in state-run firms.
A majority is also looking to buy auto and consumers shares given the resilience shown by them even in a slowing economy.
Motorcycle maker Hero Honda Motors beat forecasts with an 83 percent rise in June quarter profit, while top carmaker Maruti Suzuki reported an unexpected 25 percent jump in net profit.
India`s top cigarette maker ITC Ltd beat market forecasts with a 17.4 percent rise in net profit for the June quarter.
Bond fund managers are likely to maintain or cut their portfolio maturity fearing redemptions in longer-maturity fixed income funds on concerns a $90 billion government borrowing programme in 2009/10 will raise bond yields.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM