Mayookha, Om Prakash win bronze in Asian Athletics
New Delhi: India won two bronze medals through Mayookha Johny in triple jump and Om Prakash Singh Karhana in shot- put on the third day of the Asian Athletics Championships in Kobe, Japan, Saturday.
Mayookha, who won gold in the long jump on the opening day of the event, came up with another good performance in the triple jump. The Kerala girl created a new national record, clearing 14.11 metres in her fourth leap.
Another Indian, P.Maliakhal Anthony, finished seventh with a jump of 13.63m.
China`s Xie Limei won gold with a season`s best 14.54m while Valeriya Kanatov of Uzbekistan (14.14) won the silver.
In men`s shot-put, Om Prakash won bronze with a throw of 19.47m. Ming-Huang Chang of Chinese Taipei won gold with a championship record of 20.14m. China`s Jun Zhang won the silver (19.77m).
Another Indian, Saurabh Vij, (18.72) finished fourth.
India have one gold, one silver and five bronze medals from the championship. Decathelete Bharat Inder Singh, discus thrower Harwant Kaur and O.P. Jaisha in women`s 1,500 metres won bronze Friday, adding to Mayookha`s gold and Vikas Gowda`s silver on the opening day.
In 400m hurdle Saturday, Satinder Singh came sixth with a timing of 51.93sec.
In women`s 5,000m, Kavita Raut (16:23.06) came a distant eigth and Suriya Loganathan (17:19.44) ninth.
In the men`s competition, Suresh Kumar came sixth (14:05.64)
Sushmita Singha Roy had a disappointing day in heptathalon. She finished fourth with 5,179 points. In the three events Saturday, she came ninth in the 800 m and fifth in the long jump and javelin throw.
Ghamanda Ram (1:51.76) and S. Joseph (1:52.97) qualified for the men`s 800m finals at seventh and eighth places.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report