McEnroe ‘amazed’ by Djokovic’s 37-match winning streak
London: American tennis legend John McEnroe believes that the 37-match winning streak that World No.2 Novak Djokovic has put together is even more impressive than the record breaking run of 42 wins that he recorded in 1984.
“To begin with I’m angry that Andy Murray didn’t beat him last week and keep my record intact. It was the perfect opportunity to save it. But now I’d say if he breaks it in Roland Garros next week it will be a more impressive feat than mine,” a daily quoted McEnroe as saying.
“In 1984 the Australian Open was played at the end of the year whereas he has had to win it as part of his streak. I was coming into my first Grand Slam of the year at the French where the streak was broken so things are different. Also he came into the year as No. 3 in the world and to be able to dominate higher-ranked players the way he has is, to put it mildly, quite amazing,” he added.
McEnroe further said that he is now quite excited that Djokovic might get his record during the French Open, which begins in Paris on Sunday.
“Records are made to be broken – its the definition of mixed emotions. It really brings back memories for me. I won a lot of indoor matches before the clay court season, but now the majors are bigger than ever and the build-up is greater in terms of pressure,” McEnroe said.
“I think that what he has done is amazing and I hasten to say that I guess even he is a little surprised,” he added.
From the 2010 Davis Cup finals to the 2011 Rome Masters, Djokovic is on a 39 match win streak, which includes titles at the Australian Open, Dubai, Indian Wells Masters, Miami Masters, Serbia Open, Madrid Masters, and the Rome Masters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India