Merchant waiting for acknowledgement from Rahul
Mumbai: Yet to get a reply from Rahul Gandhi,
two-time Asian champion cueist Yasin Merchant today said he
expects at least an acknowledgement of his letter from the
AICC General Secretary.
Merchant recently wrote an emotional letter to Gandhi
questioning the selection criteria for the Padma Awards and
said his international achievements were "totally ignored".
Merchant said he was confident of "at least getting an
acknowledgement from the Congress leader."
"I have not received any acknowledgement yet. But he
(Rahul) has been touring a lot, of late. So let`s see. But
they can`t refuse to acknowledge it now. The whole India has
read the letter. But if they don`t acknowledge it even now, I
will feel very sorry for the sport," Merchant said.
"I had written to the Prime Minister (Manmohan Singh) and
to (Congress president) Sonia Gandhi also. He (Rahul) is
young, he is sincere and I have faith in him. That`s why I
have written to him now," he added.
Asked what sort of end did he wish to this controversy,
Merchant said, "First, I want an acknowledgement. Secondly,
they should apologise and concede that they have made a
mistake and assure me that I`ll get the award next year. But
even if I get it, it will be a very bitter end to the tale."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam