More than 30 militant groups operating in Manipur
Imphal: Manipur Chief Minister O Ibobi
Singh on Monday said more than thirty militant groups, including
major outfits such as United National Liberation Front (UNLF)
and People`s Liberation Army (PLA), were operating in the
Replying to a question in the state Assembly, Singh said
Naga militant outfits such as National Socialist Council of
Nagaland--Isac Muivah (NSCN-IM) and National Socialist Council
of Nagaland-Khaplang (NSCN-K) were also operating in parts of
state`s hill districts.
After the state government had signed agreements with
Kuki National Organisation (KNO) and United People`s Front
(UPF), the security forces have stopped operation against the
two groups, he said.
While KNO was formed by eleven small militant outfits,
including Kuki National Front-Military Council (KNF-MC) and
Kuki Revolutionary Army-Unification (KRA-U), UPF was also
formed by small outfits, including Kuki Liberation Army (KLA)
and Zomi Revolutionary Army (ZRA), Singh added.
AFSPA to remain in force
The controversial Armed Forces
(Special Powers) Act, 1958 (AFSPA) would not be withdrawn from
Manipur because of continuing militant activities, Chief
Minister Okram Ibobi Singh today said.
Replying to a question in the House, Singh said that
although the AFSPA was withdrawn from seven assembly
constituencies in Imphal municipal area last year following
protests from NGOs, the act would remain in force in all other
areas in view of the militant activities.
On steps taken by his government to save the life of
social activist Irom Chanu Sharmila, who has gone on a fast
unto death demanding withdrawal of the Act, Singh said special
facilities, including medical care and security, is being
provided to her at the J N Hospital here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Indian Premier League 2016: Kolkata Knight Riders beat Sunrisers Hyderabad by 22 runs, march into playoffs
- Three men held for attacking BJP MP Tarun Vijay
- Internet services suspended in Kupwara in wake of encounter
- Submarine deployed to find crashed jet's black boxes: Egypt PM
- Transform your look with different capes this season!