Mortal remains of Gayatri Devi consigned to flames
Jaipur: The mortal remains of the former Rajamata of Jaipur, Gayatri Devi who died here yesterday were consigned to flames this evening at Maharani ki Chatri, the royal cremation ground.
Brigadier Bawani Singh and Jai Singh, the step sons of
the Maharani lit the pyre.
The 90-year-old queen of Jaipur was given a gun salute by
the RAC, which also reverse their rifles as a mark of respect
to the departed soul.
Floral wreath was also sent from Chief of Army Staff
General Deepak Kapoor.
Those who present during the funeral included Governor
S.K.Singh, Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot, Vidhan Sabha Speaker
Deepender Singh, former Jodhpur ruler, Gaj Singh, Jaipur MP
Mahesh Joshi, state cabinet ministers and few MPs.
Earlier in the day thousands of people paid floral
tributes to late Gayatri Devi at the city Palace.
The charismatic Jaipur royal Rajmata Gayatri Devi, a
three-time MP, who was once named as `World`s Ten Most
Beautiful Women` by `Vogue` magazine, died here yesterday
following a prolonged illness. She was 90.
Gayatri, who became an extremely successful politician,
breathed her last at Satokben Durlabh Memorial Hospital where
she was readmitted for chest infection after she was
discharged a few days ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery