Mortal remains of Gayatri Devi consigned to flames
Jaipur: The mortal remains of the former Rajamata of Jaipur, Gayatri Devi who died here yesterday were consigned to flames this evening at Maharani ki Chatri, the royal cremation ground.
Brigadier Bawani Singh and Jai Singh, the step sons of
the Maharani lit the pyre.
The 90-year-old queen of Jaipur was given a gun salute by
the RAC, which also reverse their rifles as a mark of respect
to the departed soul.
Floral wreath was also sent from Chief of Army Staff
General Deepak Kapoor.
Those who present during the funeral included Governor
S.K.Singh, Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot, Vidhan Sabha Speaker
Deepender Singh, former Jodhpur ruler, Gaj Singh, Jaipur MP
Mahesh Joshi, state cabinet ministers and few MPs.
Earlier in the day thousands of people paid floral
tributes to late Gayatri Devi at the city Palace.
The charismatic Jaipur royal Rajmata Gayatri Devi, a
three-time MP, who was once named as `World`s Ten Most
Beautiful Women` by `Vogue` magazine, died here yesterday
following a prolonged illness. She was 90.
Gayatri, who became an extremely successful politician,
breathed her last at Satokben Durlabh Memorial Hospital where
she was readmitted for chest infection after she was
discharged a few days ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal