Mukesh Ambani-promoted Mumbai SEZ seeks third extension
New Delhi: Mumbai SEZ Ltd, promoted by Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani and his close aide Anand Jain, has sought extension, for the third time, for the validity of its in-principle approval granted by the
government in 2006.
The Board of Approval (BoA) in the Commerce Ministry will
consider the request of the developers at its meeting on
October 5, along with other similar applications from Mahindra
World City, Tamil Nadu Industrial Development Corporation and
Pune Hi-tech Infra Engineering Pvt Ltd.
In its application to the BoA for extension of validity
up to August 2010, Mumbai SEZ has stated that it has already
"spent/committed" Rs 1,200 crore, out of which Rs 110 crore
has been paid to the state government for land acquisition.
It said the steps have been taken to acquire land with
the consent of land owners and developers have been able to
execute sale with payment of full consideration to the extent
of Rs 48 crore.
Mumbai SEZ spokesperson declined to comment.
The company was given first in-principle approval on
August 8, 2006. Subsequently, two extensions were granted and
the validity of the last extension was approved on August 7.
Under the SEZ rules, the in-principle approval is valid
for one year and extension may be granted for another two
years. Further extension can be given only if the BoA amends
The in-principle approval can be converted into formal
approval only after the developer completes the land
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends