Murray eases past Roddick to enter Queen`s final
London: Britain`s Andy Murray swept into the final at Queen`s with an imperious 6-3, 6-1 victory over four-time champion Andy Roddick in the semi-finals on Saturday.
Murray, seeded second, was in sublime form as he demolished one of the top grass-court players of the last decade to set up a final clash against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga or James Ward.
This was arguably the most complete performance of Murray`s career and the victory was especially sweet for the world number four as it went some way to avenging his 2009 Wimbledon semi-final defeat against Roddick.
Murray had won six of his nine meetings with Roddick but the loss at Wimbledon still rankles with the Scot.
The 24-year-old will have taken extra delight from the way he totally overwhelmed third seed Roddick here and he will now be heavy favourite to win this Wimbledon warm-up event for the second time.
Murray, who last won the title here in 2009, had an unexpected chance to rest his troublesome ankle injury on Friday when Marin Cilic was forced to pull out just before the start of their quarter-final with an ankle problem of his own.
The Scot certainly seemed refreshed as he slammed down two aces in his first service game and then snatched the early momentum by breaking Roddick in the next game.
Roddick didn`t help his cause with a couple of loose slices that flopped tamely into the net, but Murray was mixing up his game nicely to keep the American from settling into his rhythm.
As ever, Murray was looking to use the drop-shot at every opportunity and he caught Roddick with two exquisite efforts to move 4-1 ahead.
Murray`s serve was in good working order and, with his sliced backhand causing the American no end of problems, Roddick began to wear an increasingly exasperated expression as the first set ended with another Murray ace.
Roddick`s formidable record on grass -- he had won 32 of his previous 37 matches at Queen`s, as well as reaching three Wimbledon finals -- underlined Murray`s achievement in dominating so completely.
The American was going for a record fifth Queen`s title, but there was no let-up from Murray at the start of the second set and he broke again in the first game.
A Roddick double-fault gifted the break point and Murray was quick to seize the opportunity with a superb return that his opponent could only volley into the net.
Murray was toying with Roddick now, drawing him in with low slices and then passing at will, and his place in the final was secured when he broke for a 4-1 lead and then converted his third match point.
For the first time since the Open era began in 1968, there are two British semi-finalists at Queen`s and Murray`s win means there could a first all-British final here since 1931.
Ward, a wildcard entry ranked 216th in the world, has knocked out fourth seed Stanislas Wawrinka and defending champion Sam Querrey en route to the last four and he will aim for another giant-killing against French fifth seed Tsonga later on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in