Murray quits Barcelona event to let elbow heal
Barcelona: Third seed Andy Murray withdrew from the ATP Barcelona Open on Tuesday to let his right elbow injury from last week properly heal in the run-up to Roland Garros.
"Under doctor`s advice I have had to withdraw from the Godo tournament due to my elbow injury. I`m going to take four or five days of rest," said the Scot, who had tested his problem without much success on a side court at the Real Club de Tenis hours earlier.
Witnesses said the player`s fitness looked questionable as he tried to serve, 72 hours after he had to take a pain-killing cortisone injection in order to play a Monte Carlo Masters semi-final against Rafael Nadal.
Murray will hope to be fit for the Madrid and Rome Masters events, which precede the May 22 start of the French Open.
On the court, French ninth seed Richard Gasquet booked into the second round with a 2-6, 7-6 (7/2), 6-4 defeat of Juan Ignacio Chela.
Gasquet, a third-round victim last week in Monte Carlo against Nadal, fought for more than two and a half hours to put out his Argentine opponent, overcoming six potentially costly double-faults against Chela.
World number 17 Gasquet faced 11 break points, saving six, while breaking clay-court specialist Chela four times.
He will next play Slovenian Blaze Kavcic.
Former US Open winner Juan Carlos Ferrero, 2001 champion in Barcelona, made a winning return in his first match since New York last autumn after undergoing surgery on his wrist and knee in October.
The veteran Spaniard reached the second round by beating Belgian Xavier Malisse 6-4, 6-2.
He now has a 26-9 win-loss record in Barcelona, where he has played finals in 2000 (lost to Marat Safin) and 2005 (lost to Nadal).
"I had some discomfort at first, but after I warmed up I felt better," said Ferrero. "It did hurt everywhere at the end and it was hard to close out the win. But I`m happy, everything went well."
Japan`s Kei Nishikori advanced when Spain`s Per Riba retired injured at 6-2 down after the first set.
The same fate befell this month`s Casablanca champion Potito Starace of Italy, who could not go on against Spaniard Daniel Gimeno-Traver with the score 4-6, 6-1, 2-0 in Gimeno-Traver`s favour.
Gimeno-Traver will next face five-time champion Nadal, fresh from a seventh consecutive title at Monte Carlo, where he defeated Barcelona fourth seed David Ferrer.
In other results, Croatian Ivan Dodig defeated Frenchman Vincent Millot 6-2, 6-3, while the last remaining German, Simon Greul, eliminated the only American in the singles field with a 6-4, 6-4 defeat of Robert Kendrick.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark