Narang takes a dig at Khel Ratna selection criteria
New Delhi: Disappointed at not getting the
coveted Khel Ratna, ace Indian shooter Gagan Narang on Sunday took
a dig at its selection criteria, saying the country`s highest
sporting honour seems to be decided more on the basis of
public and media perception than the athletes` performance.
The world number two Narang yesterday became the first
Indian to qualify for 2012 London Olympics after shooting a
bronze in the 10 metre air rifle event in the 50th World
Championship in Munich.
"I am very very disappointed over what happened to me. It
was third time in a row. I think, Khel Ratna is just inclusion
of the public perception and media perception.”
"It was disheartening to know that I was in run for my
achievement in 2009, I was in with a chance in 2008 also. But
I would rather like my guns to talk and hope that the bronze
medal opens up a few blind folds," Narang told a news channel.
In the final round in Munich, Narang held his nerves to
shoot a score of 102 which helped him bag bronze in a strong
field of 128 shooters.
The Indian lamented that even the world record could not
fetch him the country`s top sports award.
"I thought that I would get when I shot the world record
and I am still the world record holder," said Narang.
National sports awards selection committee headed by P T
Usha met here on July 30 and decided to bestow the Khel Ratna
award to ace shuttler Saina Nehwal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez