Narendra Modi meets Keshubhai Patel, touches his feet
Ahmedabad: After securing victory in Gujarat Assembly Elections, the state’s Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday reached Keshubhai Patel`s residence to seek his blessings.
After touching his feet, Modi sat with Patel and the duo exchanged sweets.
Keshubhai Patel, who broke away with Modi to form the Gujarat Parivartan Party, said the CM came to take his blessings. “I congratulated him and we gave sweets to each other,” said Patel, who won from Visavadar constituency in Saurashtra region.
Patel won by about 20,000 votes against his nearest Bharatiya Janata Party rival Kanubhai Bhalala. The Congress had no candidate in Visavadar.
Earlier in the day, Modi met his mother and took her blessings.
The BJP has secured majority in Gujarat as the party won 92 seats in the 182-member state Assembly.
The octogenarian Patel, who was hoping to prevent Modi from securing a third term as chief minister, even failed to make his mark.
Modi has ruled Gujarat since he replaced Patel as chief minister in October 2001.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley