No change in India`s WTO stand: Commerce Secy
New Delhi: India, which is hosting the WTO ministerial meeting here next month, today said it would not compromise on food and livelihood security of the developing
countries while negotiating the Doha trade deal.
"Food and livelihood security of the poor is critical to
the developing countries and cannot be compromised under any
circumstances...," Commerce Secretary Rahul Khullar said,
adding that the New Delhi informal trade ministers` meeting
was not meant for hard core negotiations but to build a broad
The meeting to be attended by all major groupings like
the G-20 led by Brazil, African Group led by Egypt, the US
and the European Union, would not come out with any
declaration, he said.
Khullar said the meeting on September 3-4 was aimed at
resumptions of the WTO talks which got snapped at Geneva in
"We will not go for a declaration...you will get a
summary (of the Chair)," Khullar told reporters.
The meeting to be chaired by Commerce and Industry
Minister Anand Sharma would in all have 36 trade ministers.
The Commerce Secretary said India is taking the
initiative for resumption of WTO talks as it feels that
opening of the world trade at multilateral level was crucial
for revival of the global economy.
The UPA government has faced criticism from the
Opposition which alleged that India was diluting its tough
stand at the WTO negotiations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?